Skiing begins next week for all students from Grade 1 (including those in Senior Kindergarten) all the way through Grade 8.
Our Grade 1 through Grade 3 students (including all Lower Elementary classes) learn to ski at Mount Chinguacousy. This is a wonderful learning facility run by the City of Brampton. It has a magic carpet which transports the students to the top of the hill, without them having to worry about getting on a t-bar, a chair lift or holding on to a tow rope. They simply step on a moving conveyor belt and stand up all the way to the top of the hill.
Our older students ski at Hockley Valley Ski Resort (just outside of Orangeville). This is a fantastic next step for the students. The higher elevations and combination of beginner to intermediate hill difficulty make this ski resort perfect for the students in Grades 4 to 8, Upper Elementary and MJH). We’ve been working with Hockley Valley and their instructors for a number of years to perfect the experience the children get each time they go skiing.
Some important points for ALL STUDENTS:
It is vital that the students are dressed appropriately for skiing. A cold child is an unhappy child.
All Students need to have:
– A proper warm winter jacket/parka. (Not a dress jacket)
– Proper winter snow pants – insulated pants, not just wind proof pants
– Multiple warm layers of clothing under the jacket and pants.
– Grade 1-3 need to wear the Tall Pines School Hooded track suit on the day they ski
– Grades 4-8 may wear fashion clothes (we recommend sweaters and track pants) under their jacket and snow pants
– Proper winter water-resistant mitts (mitts are recommended over gloves, because they keep the fingers together and tend to be warmer)
– Do not send wool mitts or gloves!!!
– Hats are not required as the helmets the students wear are insulated and warm
– All students will be required to wear a snow sport helmet (it is included in the rentals at both locations)
– If your son/daughter has their own snow sport helmet they may bring it and wear it instead of the rental one.
– If you have a nylon or neoprene head cover, specifically designed to fit under the snow sport helmet, it is recommended that your child bring it.
– All snow sport helmets MUST be worn properly at all time with the chin strap done up and the helmet sitting properly on the head.
– Goggles are recommended and may used year after year.
– Balaclavas or face masks are highly recommended.
– Any time you can reduce the amount of exposed skin we highly recommend it.
2) Weather related cancellations
– As with any outdoor winter activities, if we need to cancel and re-book due to temperature or precipitation related concerns, the announcement will be made by the time the students arrive at school in the morning. – All students should come prepared to ski on each the day they are scheduled.
3) Timing of the trips
– Grades 1 –3 (including SK and Lower Elementary) will ski during regular school hours. Therefore if the student is on the bus they can continue to take the bus into school and to home each day.
– Grades 4-8 (including Upper Elementary and MJH) will leave the school at 9:00 a.m. And will return at 5:30 p.m.
– All students on these trips will need to be picked up from the school at 5:30 p.m.. There is no bus service at these times.
4) Ski Dates
Monday, January 21, 2013
LE 3 & Gr 2 – Re-scheduled to Monday, February 25th
Levels 4/5 & Gr 4/5 – We skied
Tuesday , January 22, 2013
LE 1 & Gr 3 – Re-scheduled to Tuesday, February 26th
Level 6 and MJH & Gr 6-8 – Re-scheduled to Tuesday, February 19th
Friday, January 25, 2013
LE 2 & SK/Gr 1 – Re-scheduled to Tuesday, February 19th
Monday, January 28, 2013
LE 3 & Gr 2 – Re-scheduled to Thursday, February 7, 9:30 a.m -12:00 p.m.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
LE 1 & Gr 3 – Re-scheduled to Friday, February 8, 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Levels 4/5 & Gr 4/5 – Re-scheduled to Thursday, January 31st
Thursday, January 31, 2013
Level 6 and MJH & Gr 6-8 – We skied
Friday, February 1, 2013
LE 2 & SK/Gr 1 – Re-scheduled to Thursday, February 14, 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Re-scheduled again to Tuesday, February 25th
Monday, February 4, 2013
LE 3 & Gr 2 – Re-scheduled to Thursday, February 21, 9:30-12:00
Tuesday, February 5, 2013
LE 1 & Gr 3 – We skied
Friday, February 8, 2013
LE 2 & SK/Gr 1 – Re-scheduled to Tuesday, February 12th
Gr 4 – 8 & UE and MJH – Re-scheduled to Tuesday, February 12th
Monday, February 11, 2013
LE 3 & Gr 2 – We skied
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
LE 1 & Gr 3
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Gr 4 – 8 & UE and MJH – We skied
Friday, February 22, 2013
LE 2 & SK/Gr 1 (They skip a week because of the PD Day on February 15, 2013)
Monday, February 25th – LE 2 & SK/Gr 1(This is a make-up date)
Thursday, February 28th – LE 1 & Gr 3 (This is a make-up date)
***If your child is not skiing, they will need to be picked up from the school for the time period they ski, as there is no in-school supervision at that time.